Saturday, January 22, 2011

Things I want my son to know

In thinking about my relationship to parenting I found myself seeking to articulate the essence of what I wanted to achieve as a mother for my child.


Having recognised my inconsistencies in bringing my spirituality to bear on my role as a parent, I also realised that the soul part of me was and is yearning to communicate some soul truths to my child. Ultimately my frustration with myself about not being in the light as a parent is not about me but about what he may miss out on if I don't get my act together.


These are the things I want him to know and experience everyday:


That he is dearly loved


That he is a precious and connected part of all that is, and to think of the trees as his brothers is a perfect way to get to know his own true nature


That the Universe is benevolent - there is neither good nor bad but different concentrations of light (sometimes so little light that it might look like the dark) in the world, and 


That he can actively choose to hold more or less light around him just by focusing his intention and actions. The Universe doesn't judge it merely serves.


That life on this planet is sacred and finite and thus should be enJOYed. Being in tune with the natural rhythm of the day, honouring the sunrise and the sunset, making a peaceful time to eat and to sleep, witnessing the cycles of the moon, the changing of the seasons, are just some of the wonderful ways to embrace this reverence for life.


That everything is energy and the imagination is the key to experiencing this, for what can be seen in the mind's eye is as powerful as what is witnessed with the eyes.


And finally, that nothing is ever out of place. It is unfolding just as it is meant to. Know this and you can deeply relax into the warm embrace of the ever loving Universe.




In the next part of this series I will post some of the ways in which I can bring this knowledge into daily, ritualised, playful experience. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment