Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Dreaming of being One

When I was little we lived all over the world. I changed schools lots of times.


I liked moving around and I liked seeing new places.

I never had any trouble making friends. I think I had no fear at all of new people or places.

I had the courage of someone who didn't know what it was like to be afraid.

It must have still got to me though.

There is something about not having one particular place to belong to.

I used to have this recurring dream.

I dreamt that I was in an airport or shopping centre, only ever partially occupied,

and across the mall or the departure lounge I could see my class of school friends being led by the teacher on some sort of excursion.

The thing was though, that I was with my new class going somewhere else. I would wave across the divide and try to get one group to meet the other, but the far away class never saw me. They didn't hear me calling them. I would wake up in a panic.

I wanted that divide to be filled; I wanted the two parts of my life to come together and see each other so that I wouldn't have to carry this enormous burden on my own.

That burden of knowing that in two separate times and places, people that I loved went on existing even when I wasn't there.

There is a good chance, though, that this dream says much also about the experience of being born into the human realm, and having to leave behind, or at least feeling as much, the "heaven" from which we depart. The experience of being human, especially as we begin to "wake up" to our soul selves, and by thay I mean when we recognise that the human drama of money and work and relationships and worry is not all there is, can be traumatic to say the least. We yearn for a union, without knowing how. We long for a connection, a way to leap across the divide to unite the parts of ourselves. We may feel, and I often have, as though we have been abandoned to this earthly realm, and until we cross over at the end of our lives we are excluded from the experience of the divine in all its fullness.

This is, however, the biggest illusion there is. The truth is we already are One, we are already all that we seek, and we have not gone anywhere. We are born into human life and we die into eternal life and so the cycle goes. Yet as soon as we recognise the truth we are set free from any seeking. And that truth is Oneness, it is unity. All that ever was is NOW. All that ever will be is NOW. You are in the heaven that you seek and you are already the spiritual master you so desire to be. You have not left anywhere, and you are not going anywhere. You are already there.

You are all that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment