Wednesday, February 17, 2010

QUESTIONING MY THOUGHTS

I continue to be amazed and inspired by the simplicity of the Work from Byron Katie. I have just finished reading A THOUSAND NAMES FOR JOY and I am not afarid to admit that it terrifies me. This book takes the more simple use of the work and blows it wide open to ask us if we are really ready to surrender totally to the oneness/nothingness of it all, to absolutely give up our individualised identity.

I have had moments of touching that abyss and feeling the awe-inspiring power of letting oneself merge into unity. But only moments. What Katie writes about, not as teacher of it, but as student of it, is total release into a 'not-that' state of being, or not-being more accurately. And the path to that space is not difficult; it is the four questions and the turn-around. (www.thework.com/thework.asp#1)

I feel something akin to excitement even in writing about this process, for it is one available to all of us, and most importantly it is available to me. It isn't excitement though, it is rather as if every cell of my being is already rearranging itself in anticipation of the expansion of myself beyond MIND.

Can I truly live in a space where nothing that I have or do not have, including my own child, can detract from my own happiness?

I love the idea of questioning every thought that I have, and rearranging my relationship to reality simply by not arguing with it. What is is what is is what is perfect for me. And my only choice if I want to be happy is to get on board with that.

Here are a couple of FAQ's that may help you understand the difference between loving what is and having the ability to change it.

I've heard you say you're a lover of reality. What about war and rape and all the terrible things in the world? Are you condoning that?
Quite the opposite. I notice that if I believe it shouldn't exist when it does exist, I suffer. Can I just end the war in me? Can I stop raping myself and others with my abusive thoughts and actions? Otherwise I'm continuing through me the very thing I want to end in the world. I start with ending my own suffering, my own war. This is a life's work.

So what you're saying is that I should just accept reality as it is and not argue with it. Is that right?
The Work doesn't say what anyone should or shouldn't do. We simply ask: What is the effect of arguing with reality? How does it feel? This Work explores the cause and effect of attaching to painful thoughts, and in that investigation we find our freedom. To simply say that we shouldn't argue with reality is just to add another story, another philosophy or religion. It hasn't ever worked.


This work is beyond everything. it is beyond every spiritual thought and idea you have ever had. It is beyond every concept. Here is a video of her talking about her concepts of innocence.

No comments:

Post a Comment