Saturday, April 13, 2013

Winter is coming



Winter is coming. Winter is coming. Winter is...Yes, I'm slightly obsessed with Game of Thrones. For every time I hear this I can't help but feel like something (including literal winter for us folks in the Southern hemisphere) is coming into my life.

When the characters repeat this little mantra they are talking about an ominous force or change that is about to sweep the world back into a time of magic and terror. It's a big deal. I anticipate no such terror, but a return to magic? Well, yes, that's kind of what I'm getting at.

Likewise, as with that winter, the actual events of the coming changes in my life are not yet disclosed to me. I can just feel the whispering and an increasing sense of urgency. It is something that has been long dormant in me. Much like the sleeping winter that has been threatening to awaken in Game of Thrones. OK! I'll stop it with the comparisons.

I have a dream. When I was young it was very strong and present and I felt like all my choices were leading me to it. As I got older, and hopefully a little wiser, I also got more tired, more responsible, more wrapped up in the delightful but all consuming-ness of domesticity and motherhood. Add a good dose of fear of failure and this 'dream' has been all but forgotten.

Yet, this dream, desire, yearning, destiny? whatever label I give it has not forgotten about me. And it is planting itself in my mind as I try to fall asleep or when I should be writing reports.

The thing is, Game of Thrones does resonate so strongly because all of the characters feel they have a fate and a path they must walk, some more nobly than others. They take action. They live on the precipice.

I have stood back from that precipice for quite some time. And now...something is coming.

Can you feel it too in your own life? A call to be all that you can be?

No comments:

Post a Comment