Thursday, February 28, 2013

Miracle baby



You may or may not know this, but conceiving Luka felt like a long and arduous journey. In reality it took less than a year but there were lots of hurdles, mostly emanating from my body, and several diagnoses from doctors who said that getting pregnant without IVF just would not happen. My fertility, or supposed lack there of it, was connected to a much bigger picture of my life that included not knowing how to manage stress. I turned to food and alcohol rather than healthful means at a particularly crazy time in my life. I put on lots of weight and stopped ovulating. I could literally feel the stress attacking my ovaries.

Anyway, I really, really wanted to avoid IVF and so determined to turn my life around. I lost weight, practiced heaps of yoga and changed my diet. There was medical help as well. I had a laparoscopy to confirm and remove endometriosis, and that made a big contribution to the return of normal ovulation.

There was also a lot of time spent in meditation and visualisation. Of course, when all these techniques are combined there is no way to claim that one method or the other was what worked. But everything that I tried contributed to a greater sense of well being within me and that was essential on this path.

It was a journey in every sense of the word, but the outcome, well he is a true wonder. So when I found out that an organisation was seeking good news stories of natural fertility, I was thrilled to be able to volunteer.

Luka and I are featured in this mini-doco, filmed just before Christmas. Cute baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment